Monday 2 June 2014

Plane barely misses sunbather while landing

A sunbather on a small island off Germany picked a poor spot to catch some rays, and a pilot of a small planeUwe Kaiser, another beachgoer, said that because the proximity of the landing field is so close, not many people pick that part of the beach to sunbathe. Kaiser described what he saw to MailOnline:

“The man who was almost hit was lying down and he turned over to look after seeing the plane coming and then instantly flung himself down in the sand as it crossed over him. It really was a close shave.”

The airport on Dune has three short runways, with the shortest being only 846 feet. Landings and takeoffs are said to be demanding and require experience.
“In my defense I can say that I didn’t see him because he was lying down, and I’m just very grateful it worked out well and I didn’t land on him,” Drucker said.

As for the man who was nearly struck? He smartly got up and relocated. picked a poor time to misjudge his landing.
The two errors in judgment nearly resulted in a catastrophe as the small plane just barely missed hitting the man lying on the beach on the island of Dune in the Heligoland archipelago.
“It was me that was flying and I am really sorry,” pilot Juergen Drucker, 52, told the MailOnline on Monday. “I have to say, as the pictures show, that it wasn’t one of my greatest achievements in the cockpit.”
Uh, no, it wasn’t. Beachgoer Rainer Schmidt, 52, caught the embarrassing and near-tragic moment on video. Watch (German commentary is from Bild.TV):

No comments:

Post a Comment